India Cricket Team

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Teams unite to show support for Room to Read

Players from both England and India's teams took time out from their preparations for Sunday's huge ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 clash to show their support for Room to Read.


The ICC is working with Room to Read at the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 to raise awareness of literacy and promote access to books. Virat Kohli met with four adolescents from the Room to Read initiative, who the ICC had flown in from Delhi for the experience, and took time to learn about how Room to Read has transformed the lives of young people across India, before playing a game of cricket with the teenagers. 

"Room to Read provides excellent opportunities for young people, like the girls I have met today, to have the opportunity to have access to books and education. It was great to be able to spend time with the young people and learn more about Room to Read," said Kohli.

The four girls then went to the stadium to watch the England team train, where they also had the chance to meet members of the BBC team, who gave an insight into what it is like to be a cricket journalist, before they had the chance to meet some of the players. 17-year old Roopu Kumari was one of the Room to Read scholars visiting the players and said that her day had been a memorable experience. "For me, I can't work out whether the day was real or a dream. It was amazing that in the same day I got to meet some of the India cricket players and the English cricket players and to see them do net practice was fantastic. I will always say that this is the most memorable day of my life," she said. "I come from a very poor family and my parents wouldn't have been able to afford my education. I would have probably dropped out of school many years ago if Room to Read hadn't been in my life and I wouldn't have been where I am today. I am now very confident I can go on to complete my school education and be a successful woman in my life and be able to contribute to my family, my community and my country."


While all the girls encouraged the players to hit sixes, as part of Reliance Life Insurance's 'Hit Illiteracy for Six' campaign, where it is donating Rs 25,000 for every six hit during the event, Roopu also asked for the public to show their support for Room to Read. "Education is such an important thing for everybody and only if you are educated can you make the right decisions in your life. I hope that everybody who is watching can contribute to Room to Read as they will be making a change to the lives of people in India," she said. If fans are interested in showing support to Room to Read, they can go to www.roomtoread.org/worldcup.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wordpress Theme | Bloggerized by Free Blogger Templates | free samples without surveys