India Cricket Team

Monday, May 23, 2011

It was time I gave something back to India: Brett Lee

Australian cricketer Brett Lee tells DNA that he wants to bring the joy of music to lesser-privileged children in his ‘second home’


From Kings XI Punjab to KKR, how has the journey been?
It’s great to be back in India playing IPL again. It’s a fantastic tournament and the Knight Riders have been great to play with. The entire squad is full of talent. I have enjoyed my time with both teams and have been eager to learn from my teammates, who play in all parts of the world.

How was it playing under Michael Clarke’s captaincy? How different are Ponting and Clarke?
Michael is a terrific leader and has taken to his new role in a professional manner. It’s difficult to compare both Ricky and Michael as Michael has only just started. All good captains back their players and both Ricky and Michael are particularly strong in this area.

Do you think in this World Cup there was a lot of pressure on Australia to win for fourth consecutive time? And especially when you didn’t have players like Adam Gilchrist and Glenn McGrath?
There is always pressure on any team at the World Cup, the fact we had dominated the tournament for so many years adds to the pressure. We all knew it was a big challenge to win again and the fact we have lost a number of stars in our setup has given each player, who represents Australia a fantastic opportunity to establish the Australian cricket at the top again. It’s an exciting era and one I hope to be able to contribute in the shorter forms of the game.

Do you think there should be a window for IPL in ICC calendar?
Yes, the IPL is great for world cricket. Look at the players who are now dominating international cricket, all thanks to the IPL. Without these competitions, we may not see the likes of a Virat Kohli play such good cricket at the international level so early in their career.

Your one memorable game?
There are many but probably my first Test match where I was presented with my Baggy Green cap and played alongside all the players that I had admired for many years.

How did Mewsic come along? And do you plan to visit the centre every time you come to the city?
I’ve been coming to India for many years now and have a close affinity with the country and its people. India has given me so much as a person that I felt it was time to give something back. With my love of children, and music I was keen to set up a foundation that would bring the joy of music to disadvantaged children and help develop their spirit and their sense of hope. I can’t wait to have Mewsic centres all around India and to share the joy of music with many children. We plan to open 10 centres around India by the end of 2011. 

Time is a challenge for me given my playing schedule. There will be some restrictions but I will endeavour to get to the centres as often as possible to see how the children are progressing. This will give me the most joy seeing the kids develop in many aspects. Don’t forget, I have Binga, who will represent me when I’m not around.

You’ve been coming to India often. Anything that you enjoy the most when you come down?
I’ve met some wonderful people and made many friends over the years. So, when I do visit, I always try to meet up with as many people as I can. Now, I also have the opportunity to meet up with the Mewsic kids and to see how they are progressing. India is my second home.

Your all-time favourite song?
I love a whole range of music and it depends on my mood and where I am and what I’m doing, My Ipod is never too far away and I’m constantly updating it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wordpress Theme | Bloggerized by Free Blogger Templates | free samples without surveys