India Cricket Team

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Not afraid of challenges: Abhinav Mukund

Abhinav Mukund, riding on the back of two brilliant seasons on the domestic circuit, is naturally elated at having got into the Test squad for the tour to the Caribbean. With both of India's frontline openers missing, the Tamil Nadu player is almost certain to make his Test debut in the Caribbean.

Mukund, who was the second-highest Ranji Trophy run-getter last season with 1211 runs, just behind teammate Badrinath's aggregate of 1226, told TOI he had to change his approach towards the game to become more consistent.

"I'm glad that to be a part of the Indian Test squad. As a cricketer I always dreamt about that. I'm looking forward to having a great series," the 21-year-old left-hander said, adding: "I had a very good domestic season this year and happy to be rewarded for that. I went through a bad patch in 2009 and before the start of the new season I was determined to score as many runs as possible. It was not an easy job, though. I had to change my approach towards the game and I'm thankful to all who stood by me during the bad phase."

About playing his first series away from home, Mukund said, "I've worked pretty hard on my batting and my confidence level is higher now after scoring big runs in the domestic arena. I'm not afraid of challenges but I am aware that West Indian tracks will be different. I still have some time left and I'll have discussions with Murali Vijay and others team members who have played there before."

Mukund also said he got immense support from senior batsmen like Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, VVS Laxman and MS Dhoni during his stay with the Indian team in Bangalore. "They were all very friendly and it was a completely different experience for me," he added.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wordpress Theme | Bloggerized by Free Blogger Templates | free samples without surveys