India Cricket Team

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Gary Kirsten linked to Australia’s Big Bash

Gary Kirsten is back home in South Africa but he continues to be the talking point in Indian cricket. The big vacuum his exit has created seems difficult to fill. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), currently pre-occupied with the Indian Premier League (IPL) business, has not yet made up its mind.

Speculation is rife in the board circle that an interim arrangement will be in place for the tour of the West Indies where India will play three Tests, five ODIs besides a Twenty20 international. It means someone like Eric Simmons may be asked to guide the team in the Caribbean but there is also a possibility that the BCCI may contact people like Tom Moody, who has expressed interest in the job. Moody was highly successful with the Sri Lankan team, having guided them to the final of the 2007 World Cup.

The Board also seems to be eying a couple of coaches in the IPL teams. Post the tournament, one of them could be asked to accompany the side. A few Indians too seem to be interested. Some decision is likely to be made after the first week of the IPL. 

Meanwhile, reports have suggested that Kirsten is eyeing a team in the Big Bash league in Australia. Reports say the South African has even appointed an agent to start negotiations with a Sydney-based side in the Twenty20 league there. Cricket Australia is contemplating to expand its domestic T20 structure in which New South Wales could be allowed to field two teams.

According to one report, talks have already taken place with NSW authorities and Kirsten might join either Sydney Sixers or Sydney Thunder team. “We’ve had initial conversations in respect to Big Bash coaching opportunities. Gary has a great respect for cricket in Australia, and sees a coaching role as an exciting appointment. I’m sure a coach of his high credentials would be a great asset,” Kirsten’s agent Peter Lovitt of the Driver Avenue Group was quoted as saying by Sydney Morning Herald.

Kirsten, meanwhile, confirmed that he was approached by Cricket South Africa (CSA). “They have approached me but I’ve said I’m

not going to make any decisions just yet. I need to take some time off and clear my mind for a while after this magnificent journey,’’ he told The Guardian.

Significantly enough, CSA announced that it is not in a hurry to appoint a coach. Its CEO Gerald Majola said that there would be no rush to fill the position. “We understand the keenness of the nation to know the name of the successful candidate but the selection must be a thorough process to make sure that we get the best person for the job.” The CSA could be willing to wait for Kirsten to make up his mind.

When asked about his future plans, Kirsten said he needed time. “I have signed nothing at the moment. I am going home and I am going to spend time with my family. At some stage, I have to consider my future one way or another. But certainly at this time there is nothing on the table. I was fortunate to have offers from a few IPL teams but I moved down for this specific reason I wanted to spend time with my family that I have missed tremendously for pass three years,” Kirsten told a media conference here on Tuesday.

Having led India to a few cricketing peaks, including the World Cup, the 44-year-old former South Africa batsman is obviously in

high demand in the international cricket market.

Meanwhile, former Australian leg-spinner Shane Warne denied reports that he was interested in coaching India. “Just got told on bus — apparently I put my hand up to coach India. Wow — first I have heard of it — Sorry to disappoint but never said that!!!” Warne tweeted.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wordpress Theme | Bloggerized by Free Blogger Templates | free samples without surveys